E-commerce Tips and Tricks and the Meaning of Online Shopping
These days, everyone seems to be jumping on the e-commerce bandwagon. It’s an easy way to make a fortune, right? Maybe, but there are plenty of mistakes you can make along the way. Here are some tried and tested tips to make sure you get it right first time!
Identify Your Niche
The first thing to realize is that niche e-commerce sites face massive competition. In reality, this means that unless you have a huge advertising budget, there are only two types of products you could sell successfully.
- Unique products that you manufacture yourself or own exclusive rights for.
- A specific product niche. For example, if you Google, “buy diamante dog leashes” you’ll find a very limited number of hits.
The bottom line isthat you’ll struggle to succeed if you go into direct competition with generic product selling giants like Amazon and eBay, and their thousands of affiliates. Be specific and don’t spread yourself too thinly.
Choose a User-friendly Shopping Cart
A big plus point in your favor is the technology available to the would-be online entrepreneur. You can be up and running in a week or less with a really smart fully functional website for a relatively small investment.
Today’s online shoppers expect a smooth, hassle free experience. You can offer this with a fully-hosted and supported e-commerce website that boasts credit card processing and shipping calculators too. Throw in top quality support for about $100 a month and you’re good to go. Check out Shopify, BigCommerce and 3dcart for some great deals.
Don’t be Afraid to Seek Help
As a new e-commerce business, there are some areas you are well-advised to seek help and guidance in.
Shipping: Shipping can be a minefield if you don’t get it right. You will need some technical assistance in setting up real-time rates from the postal service and this can be a complex process.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization): Perhaps the most important thing to realize is that without visitors to your site, you won’t sell products. This sounds obvious but it’s an aspect of e-commerce that’s easily overlooked in the excitement of the launch. A professional SEO consultant will help you to make sure that your site is structured correctly, and filled with content that will draw the right visitors to it.
Payments, taxes and other functionality: Your beautiful shiny new site will probably have a thousand different tick boxes, payment options and tax information. There will be something to click on to set up client emailing lists, product launch notifications, new products and more. It can be very helpful to have someone talk you through how all this functionality works and how you can use it to benefit your business.
Native Advertising Versus Ad Banners in Head to Head Combat
In a sparring match between ad banners and native advertising, the native advertising tag team would win hands down in an e-commerce battle. The proof is revealed in consumer online spending. An ad banner is an image based advertisement inserted on a web page intended to connect traffic to an advertiser’s page. Advertising that appears among editorial content and coordinates with the content design is known as native advertising. The following seven statistical reasons prove native advertising would win in a head to head combat with ad banners.
- A campaign by a major car company resulted in a 33% improved brand image utilizing native advertisements. Native advertisements perform best when designed as rich media advertisement and match both form and function of the web page.
- Chief marketing officers are skilled professionals with a talent for reaching consumers. One-third of the chief marketing officers surveyed will purchase native video advertising in the next six months.
- Consumers are shown to be more receptive to native advertisement content in comparison to ad banners. A recent poll showed that 70% of consumers preferred content advertising. A native advertisement by a widely recognized corporation received eight percent clicks compared to a banner advertisement by the same corporation that received less than one percent of registered clicks.
- Future predictions show that native advertisements are a growing trend. In the next two years, native advertisements are predicted to expand to $4.57 billion and are expected to claim 41.7% of total internet advertising.
- Increased audience engagement and promotion of brand visibility is the major reason that marketing representatives are turning to native advertisements. Based upon factual statistics, 81% of brand advertising marketers favor native advertising plans.
- Native advertisement is a fast growing phenomenon among American publishers. Approximately 75% of American publishers offer native advertisements on online sites.
- Potential consumers read native advertisements 53% more frequently than banner advertisements and are 32% more likely to share a native advertisement with friends and family on social media. Native advertisements are proven to increase word of mouth or rather word of social media advertising.
The most successful e-commerce businesses are run by those people who have a passion for what they do and put in consistent hard work every day to improving their site and marketing their business online. Before you invest in an online store, make sure you are up for the challenge, and don’t be afraid to invest in some professional guidance to get you going on the right track.